Shop Managers at Commonplace Coffee are leaders with a passion and desire to share coffee and build community within the neighborhoods in which they serve. Shop Managers are responsible for the day-to-day success of each shop and are tasked with training and developing all baristas and team members for their respective location to ensure all Commonplace Coffee guests experience exceptional service and hospitality. Shop Managers are also accountable for leading the shop to be successful against financial and operational goals as directed by the Retail Operations Director and Commonplace Coffee leadership.
● Build, develop, inspire, and retain an incredible team, regularly giving and receiving positive and constructive feedback and coaching baristas to develop and be their best.
● Ensure every guest at the shop has an excellent coffee experience and continually find ways to coach team members to go above and beyond in exceeding guest expectations.
● Drive strong and continuously improving financial performance of the shop, finding ways to expand the shop’s reach and be as efficient as possible in doing it.
● Collaborate with other Commonplace Coffee team members and the Retail Operations Director to creatively engage the neighborhood and community, deepening relationships with regular guests and welcoming newcomers.
● Be knowledgeable of all product details, including whole-bean offerings, as they roll out into the retail environment, find creative ways to engage staff to build their knowledge so it can be passed onto guests.
● Ensure the team is always meeting Commonplace Coffee’s high standards of quality and enjoyment for every drink and food item served in the shop, through regular tasting and help from other Commonplace Coffee team members.
● Work on bar and on the floor, not only to help the team in busy moments but to stay constantly connected to the heart of guest services and find ways to continually improve it.
● Create and maintain a thoughtful work schedule for the shop which balances individual, team and organizational needs while meeting business goals for efficiency.
● Oversee all ordering including coffee, milk, pastries, inventory, etc. ensuring that the shop is always supplied at proper levels and able to meet the requests of guests while ensuring that nothing goes to waste.
● Manage day-to-day operations of the shop, including scheduling, banking and payroll, and achieve financial targets established by the Retail Operations Director and Commonplace Coffee leadership.
● Create partnerships with team members involved with roasting, services, and operations to ensure the excellence of everything we provide in our retail shop guest experiences.
● Complete required company reports and communications in a timely manner.
● Work directly with Nova Place / Alloy 26 management to take advantage of our preferred vendor status including planning and executing catering events, both in-shop and anywhere within the Nova Place campus, fielding inbound inquiries for events, and growing awareness of Commonplace Coffee amongst other Nova Place campus tenants.
● 2+ years of retail/hospitality experience with a strong preference for coffee, food & beverage.
● Strong technical barista skills in all areas of drink preparation (i.e., brewing, espresso, milk).
● Desire to grow skills and assume greater responsibility in Commonplace Coffee.
● An understanding of a profit and loss statement, and knowledge of how to impact it.
● Strong leadership and interpersonal skills.
● Consistent demonstration of integrity and reliability.
● Ability to solve complex problems with multiple variables.
● Comfort using computer programs, especially Google Drive tools (Sheets, Docs, Calendar).
● Stand and walk – must be able to stand for 4-8 hour shifts and move about the shop.
● Perform repetitive tasks – must be able to complete repetitive motions with the hands, wrists and forearms to operate espresso machinery.
● Taste and smell – must be able to detect and perceive the smells of coffee.
● Oral communication – must be able to clearly and effectively communicate with customers and team members.
● Carry weight, lift – must be able to lift up to 5 pounds frequently and up to 50 pounds occasionally.
● Work is performed in coffee shops and in coffee production environments.
● The work environment can be noisy.
● This job involves high amounts of interpersonal interaction.
● Manage shop baristas